Some of you might remember my post about wanting to open up the closet in the nursery because of the lack of space in that room. Well, we started this weekend, and it is looking good. As usual, we underestimated how long it would take and the mess involved. Thank goodness it was cool in good ol' NY. It took about 4 hours just to demolish and pull apart the wood work without ruining it. Our house is just shy of 100 years old and has the most beautiful original woodwork. We wanted to keep that and reuse as much as we could when pulling apart the closet.
This is what we started with:
It was fun to pull it apart, but like i said tedious because not only were we trying to save as much trim as possible, but the house is so old, that it is made of plaster and lathe. (good times i tell you)! The walls were so fragile, and yes, i accidentally went through a few times and had to patch.
Clemens wanted to see what was going on and kept trying to get close, but decided he would chill in the hallway before the vacuum got him!
Yay! We have the new closet opening!
The one thing we have to deal with though is filling in the hardwood where the frame was. This is the one part where we just might have to hire someone.
After spending about 1.5 hours in Lowe's, we got pieces of trim that are so close to what was there. Years ago, trim was built in large sections. Since so much is pre-fab now, and we need to match as close as possible to what was there, we have to re-create ours. Here is the start:
So all we have left to do is finish up the trim making the corner pieces and paint white. Then... the fun begins of putting some color on this bland wall!